Saturday, May 8, 2010

Back again

I did a horrible job keeping up with this thing the first time, but let's try again.

I'm leaving for Morocco in roughly two and a half weeks to attend an intensive language study program. I know absolutely no Arabic, so this should be interesting. Dad gave me a book about a month ago that he used when he was working overseas (Arabic Language for Foreigners ).
Everyone keeps asking me what made me choose Morocco, so I suppose I'll explain myself.

What's funny is this is the short version of how it happened.
When I went into the Study Abroad Office, I was interested in doing my student teaching abroad. I came to find out that only a few countries were offered, it would be an expensive process because I would have to do it through an outside institution, and I was worried it would hurt my chances of getting a job as a teacher if that's what I choose to do. I was shown the popular choices for students of study abroad and I talked to a girl who was in the office that went to Greece. The director, Janis Halpern, asked me what the focus of my education was and where I saw myself in the job market. I explained to her what I liked about my internship these past summer and winter breaks at RW Armstrong--the logistics, the organization, and mostly the constant influence of a variety of cultures constantly being shown to me. I told her that I am interested in the structures of language; Dr. Latta's English 310 and 410 focused on the history, grammar and technicalities of English, and were two of my hardest and most rewarding classes because they forced me to address the hardest parts of the English language--the parts that didn't come naturally to us as native speakers. Then Janis showed me information on Morocco and a language study program. On the application, I wrote exactly what I told Janis. I'm the first student from ISU to go to Morocco, but Janis has been to the actual school and I'm excited to meet with her next week and see all of her souvenirs.

I got a scholarship for the program, so it's helping with the cost--nowhere nearly covering it, unfortunately. I'll fly home the first of August and then move to Indianapolis for my student teaching at Lawrence Central and Belzer Middle School. Off to the real world, I suppose.

*Does anyone know if you can carry on a hard guitar case or if you have to check it? I would assume check it, but that would mean I need a harder shell case.
*Facebook message me or leave a comment on here with your email address, PLEASE! I'll try to send out a ton of emails.
*Keep me updated on you, too!

I wanted to warn everyone that there wouldn't be loads of phone-call communication while I'm gone. I can call through Sype to landlines, but I'm budgeting every penny.

Ahh..writing this just made me so nervous!

No comments: