Monday, July 5, 2010

Sahara-120 and counting






The Sahara.... well, it's hot. It's really hot. It's really hot and sandy. And that's just about it.

This is a bit late - but for the past week and a half I've been backpacking everywhere! We're taking planes, trains, automobiles, and even horses, donkeys, and camels ALL AROUND MOROCCO! I am so in love with this country!

The Sahara was neat to see. I'm glad I went, but I doubt I'll be making that trip again. The best thing we did was go to see a Sufi village. The elders put on a ritual and ate dinner with us. That's what the first two pictures are. (anyone who can, look at my facebook for the rest of the pics--carey, will you show mom and dad the rest?) The fancy doorway is an entrance to a palace sitting room. The monarchy has old castles all around Morocco (and by all around, I mean ALL around--I've already been to 10+ and I've passed on a few) that are used by the locals when the royalty is finished with them. This particular palace is owned by a king's cousin who still lives there, but it is so worn down that it will literally disintegrate within a couple years. Most of the buildings (I would say 85% at least) are made of compacted dirt--crazy looking stuff. Some of the palaces are carved earth. If they aren't properly taken care of and restored, they literally blow away. Ten of us had tea with the king's cousin in his sitting room at this palace.

The hotel we stayed at was really nice....except for the giant, man eating cockroaches EVERYWHERE. At this point, cockroaches are the least of my worries. The other night, I found a beetle that was literally the size of my hand in my bed. The frogs in Ifrane are some of the weirdest creatures I've seen so far. They get so big that they have to crawl on all fours instead of hop. They're about the size of Joe's head if that gives anyone a clue to their gigantic-ism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That canal in the upper left photo looks alot like the one the insurgents tried to blow me into once back in '04. Stupid insurgents, missed again. -- Matty