Monday, June 7, 2010

Muay Thai and Fes Market




This weekend we went to Fes to check out the world's largest open air flee market. It definitely had me convinced that it was the largest. Alleys upon alleys upon alleys were completely FILLED with things for sale. The only purchase I made was an awesome handwoven leather belt for mom--we all know how much she loves her belts. More purchases to come, I promise.
THEN Amanda and I (my new awesome friend) had to buy a scarfs to cover up so we could go to an awesome Mauy Thai ultimate kick boxing championship match! We got to see the Moroccan WORLD champion vs. the Russian National Champ. It was a close match, but it was obvious that the Moroccan won. It was his last match, so he was putting his all into it. By far one of the coolest things I've seen. The crowd was INSANELY into it.
We bought the super cheap seats, but at one point I had to go to the bathroom. My friend Osama (he's from Libya, Arabic was his friend language but he can't read or write, so he's in the beginner level classes with me) went with me to the restroom. While I was trying to find the bathroom, Osama asked one the guards for me and they answered, "Oh yes, special restroom for you American girl." Seemed kind of sketchy, but Osama was with me--and he's a touch guy. They took us back to the FIGHTER'S bathroom! I had to go in literally a hole in the ground (ew) but it was SO cool. Then I came out, and Osama told me that they wanted to give us VIP for free! I waited with some guards and Osama went and got our other two friends who were waiting for us outside. They took us downstairs and let us sit ringside!
It was so neat!
This weekend we're going to Volubilis. Apparently it's full of ruins and some really amazing ancient architecture. Should be a good time!

1 comment:

Carey said...

Didn't you promise to update this EVERY day?