Wednesday, June 2, 2010

T-A-N spells Abbie

HOLY AFRICAN SUN, it's HOT!
Tomorrow my north african studies class starts. Which means I'll be in class from 8-5:30 every day. I'm not excited about that, but I'm VERY excited for this weekend--the NAS class is taking its first field excursion to Valapalos (sp?)! It's a really small town in Morocco. Other than that, I know absolutely nothing about it--and that you can't even find it on a map. BUT that's what tomorrow is for!
I don't really have much to add right now. The temperature is officially rising over 100 degrees. It's more bearable than it sounds, but barely. My Arabic class isn't air conditioned, but we never turn on the lights, and the wind seems to be constantly blowing up here.
It's strange--two days ago I couldn't speak a word of English, now I'm reading signs and beginning to recognize sentences. This REALLY is an intensive program. We go through a semester's worth of work in a few weeks then continue right on into the next semester, then the next, then the next. We have already caught up to where most people were in their first year of studies of Arabic, so I don't feel SO behind. Still, it seems that they have a better grasp of things. Luckily, it won't be that way for much longer!
My roommate STILL isn't here! I'm not sure what's up with that -- her classes are supposed to start tomorrow. We'll see if she shows up or if I'm getting a single room for free. That might be nice after a long, long day's study.
More when there's more to say!

No comments: